Oily skin is caused by an overproduction of sebum, the oil that lubricates our skin. This is fundamentally a hormonal problem that triggers the sebaceous glands, beneath our skin, to become overactive. This can often be a hereditary problem or the result of hormonal changes in our life. Hormonal changes during puberty and the teenage years is a well known risk factor. Pregnancy, the menstrual cycle and menopause are times when sebum production may increase in women.
Oily skin treatment requires a duel approach –
1) Employing techniques that help take away some of the sebum already in your skin – External applications
2) Using methods that can help your subaceous glands produce less sebum in the first place – Internal applications
How to get rid of oily skin ?
1) Wash the face two to three times a day, but don’t over do it! Excessive washing can remove too much sebum, which in turn will signal the sebaceous glands to produce more sebum! This can be a classic mistake when dealing with oily skin. Using glycerin soap can be beneficial, it is much kinder on the skin and doesn’t contain chemicals that can cause more problems.
2) Aloe vera gel is a great treatment for oily skin, it helps remove sebum from the skin and cleans out pores. Topical applications of aloe vera also help soothe the skin and provide beneficial vitamins for skin health. Aloe vera gel is available at most health stores.
3) Keep your hands off your face! It may be difficult not too check how oily it is “up there”, but this will transfer dirt and oil from your fingers and can worsen the situation.
4) Juices for skin care There are certain vitamins that are necessary for skin health. Most importantly for people with oily skin is vitamin A – which has been shown to help reduce some of the production of sebum. Furthermore, vitamin A is essential for the reproduction of skin cells and protecting them from pollution. The mineral zinc is essential for wound healing, and may help reduce the scarring effects of removing blackheads and other pimples.
5) Coenzyme A has been receiving a lot of attention lately, and is very popular in China. The USA is a tough place to get supplements approved. Research has shown that Coenzyme A can be very effective at reducing the amount of sebum released by the sebaecous glands. I recommend shopping around for this product, it might be the best thing you do for combating oily skin.
Oily Skin Remedies Juice #1 – Blackberry Kiwi
2 cups of blackberries
Wash blackberries thoroughly and peel the kiwis. Both these fruits are good sources of vitamin A and great sources of zinc
Oily Skin Remedies Juice #2 – Carrot Juice
5 large carrots
Wash, juice, enjoy! Carrots are a great source of vitamin A.
Oily Skin Remedies Juice #3 – Cantaloupe
1/2 cantaloupe melon
Remove the skin, scoop out the seeds and juice only the flesh. This fruit is also high in vitamin A, and is also great for detoxification.
Darren and Veronica