If you are looking to buy your first juice extractor or are looking to get a new model then this guide will explain the fundamentals of the different electric juicers available. Even though there are many juice extractors on the market to choose from, it is good to know that there are only three basic types –
1) Centrifugal Juicers
2) Masticating Juicers (single gear juicers)
3) Triturating Juicers (twin gear juicers)
Centrifugal Juice Extractors
Centrifugal Juice extractors are made with powerful high-speed motors that make juicing quick and easy. The motors can run anywhere between 3,000RPM to 14,000RPM. This makes the centrifugal juicers the fastest of juicers. If you have limited time in your day and want to make fresh juice as quick as possible then a centrifugal juice extractor is your best choice. Centrifugal juice extractors are generally the cheapest of the various electric juicers available, so they are also a great choice for a limited budget. Two esteened models are the Breville BJE200XL and Breville Juice Fountain Elite.
* Stainless-steel electric juicer produces fresh juice quickly and easily
* Heavy-duty and compact with a centered knife
* 700-watt motor that dishes out an amzing 14,000RPM (revolutions per minute)
* Large 3″ feed tube and a micro-mesh stainless steel filter
* Dishwasher friendly parts and custom cleaning brush
* Dimension: 9.5 x 8.8 x 16 inches; Weight: 9 pounds
Check Price for Breville BJE200XL at Amazon.com
Breville Juice Fountain Elite
* 1000-watt juicer with 2 speed controls, high (13,000 RPM) and low (6,500 RPM)
* Die-cast steel housing; stainless-steel micromesh filter; titanium-plated cutting disk
* Circular 3-inch feed tube accommodates whole fruits and vegetables
* Pulp container, juicing pitcher, and manual/recipe book included; dishwasher-safe parts
* Locking arm bolts move up to 1/4″ in all directions to ensure a snug fit in the locking arm
Check Price for Breville Elite at Amazon.com
The Breville Juice Fountain Elite is the Most Powerful and Fastest Juice Extractor. Take a look below!
Buy at Amazon
Centrifugal juice extractors work by placing produce into a feed chute where it comes into contact with a round spinning grater blade that looks similar to a cheese grater. The high-speed of this disc then grinds and grates down produce rapidly. Then the centrifugal force created by the high RPM’s separates the pulp from the extracted juice allowing the juice to run out into the collecting container.
The are several main draw backs of a centrifugal juice machine. 1) They are noisy because of the sheer power at which they operate 2) The high RPM’s generate a lot of heat that will kill off some of the enzymes and antioxidants in the fruits and vegetables it juices and produce a slightly less nutritious juice than a masticating juicer. 3) Centrifugal juicers are not very good at juicing leafy greens, and cannot juice wheatgrass.
Masticating Juice Extractors
Masticating juice extractors run at a slower speed than centrifugal juicers and extract juice by a different mechanism. Masticating juicers use a single gear through which produce is broken down slowly and extensively to wring out a considerable amount of juice. So the juice yield, and therefore the nutritional value, is higher than that of a centrifugal juicer. The slow speed of operation also drastically reduces the amount of heat that fruits and vegetables are subject to in comparison to a centrifugal juicer. This preserves a lot more of the living enzymes and antioxidants, producing a juice that is more health promoting. The low speed also makes masticating juicers very quiet machines. So we can see why masticating juicers are the popular choice for those focused on making healthier juice. Some of the best reviewed masticating juicers are the top-selling Hurom HU-100 Slow Juicer, the Omega 8005 juicer and the Omega VRT330.
Hurom HU-100 Slow Juicer
* Slow juicer provides maximum nutrition and taste from juiced fruits, vegetable, and grasses
* Dual-stage extraction crushes then presses for increased yield and minimum waste
* Small footprint, quiet operation, and attractive design; ; easy self-cleaning feature
* Includes fine and coarse dual stage screens, pulp extraction plugs, self-cleaning screen holder, two 50-ounce juicing cups, tamper, brush, and instruction manual
* Measures 9-3/4 inches long by 6-3/4 inches wide by 15-3/4 inches high; 10-year warranty
Read More at Amazon
This video clearly shows how the hurom preserves antioxidants. The richer in color a juice is the more antioxidants it contains because antioxidants are also the pigments that give fruits and vegetables their color.
Buy the Hurom Slow Juicer at Amazon
Omega 8005 Juicer
* “Masticating-style” Single Augur juice extractors
* Dual-Stage Juicing System for Maximum Efficiency
* Built-in reverse eliminates clogging.
* Body is Plastic painted with a silver chrome finish
* Manufacturers 10 year Limited Warranty
Read More at Amazon
This video is demonstrates the Omega 8006 and the Omega VRT330. Notice how effortlessly the Omega VRT330 pulls vegetables through the feed tube. There is no ‘muscle’ needed on the users behalf.
Buy the Omega VRT330 at Amazon
Buy the Omega 8006 at Amazon
The main downside of masticating juicers is that the juicing time takes longer than centrifugal juicers and they are heavier machines.
Triturating Juice Extractors
Triturating juice extractors are the elite of juice extractors and work in the same way as a masticating juicer but with two gears and not one. The gears run side by side and extremely close together. As vegetables pass through the gears they get just about every last drop of juice squeezed out of them at a very slow speed. So triturating juice extractors are a little more effective than single gear masticating juicers and produce a higher yield and less oxidation. For this reason triturating juicers provide the best benefits of juicing. These juicers are exceptionally good for wheat grass juicing and for other ‘thin’ vegetables like leafy greens. Naturally, triturating juice extractors are more expensive too. Recommended models include the Green Power Juicer and the Rolls-Royce of juicer the Super Angel 3500.
Green Power Juicer
* Bio-ceramic & magnetic technology ionizes juice delaying oxidation keeping juice fresh for 72hrs!
* Juice fruit, vegetables, wheatgrass, leafy greens and even make mochi, baby food and tasty dessert!
* Continuously juices preventing pulp from clogging, resulting in dry pulp and nutrient rich juice.
* Large feeding chute, light weight and incredibly easy to clean up. Includes multi-purpose kit.
* 90 day Unconditional Guarantee
Read More at Amazon
A quirky but informative video that shows the versatility of the Green Juicer
Buy the Green Power Juicer at Amazon
Super Angel 3500
Super Angel Living Juice Extractor will juice almost anything from carrot and apples to wheatgrass and spinach. It is not limited to just regular juicing. You can also enjoy soy milk and delicious tofu. The revolutionary, all stainless steel design, incorporates a twin gear impeller press system that powerfully rotates at a low 86 rpm (the most ideal speed) keeping all enzymes and nutrients alive in the juice.
Learn More at Amazon
by Darren Haynes