Heavy metal detoxification is an in-depth but necessary process to attain optimum health. I can only begin to scratch the surface of this in-depth process in this post. You will find tailor-made juices that provide specific nutrients and foods to induce a heavy metal detox. For a better understanding of heavy metal detoxification, please check out the great links at the end.
Chelation is a fundamental aspect of heavy metal detoxification. It was first used as a therapy during WW1 to help with the effects of arsenic based gas poisoning. It was further develop in WW2 to help navy personnel who suffered lead poisoning from painting ships. Chelation therapy is the intake of certain nutrients or foods that turn poisonous metals such as arsenic, lead and mercury into a more chemically inert form that is safe enough to be excreted.
Oxidative stress is the presence of rogue molecules called free radicals that attack our cells. This can cause damage to our organs and DNA, speed up the aging process and increase our risk of developing cancer and heart disease. The presence of poisonous heavy metals in our cells greatly increases the effects of oxidative stress. When a free radical collides with a heavy metal particle it can result in creation of a million more free radicals! Our natural defense against this is to increase our intake of antioxidants, which “tackle” free radicals and render them inert.
As we can see, increasing our intake of antioxidants along with foods that have chelation properties are two important steps in heavy metal detoxification.
Here is a list of foods and nutrients with chelation and antioxidant effects:1) Vitamin C intake has been shown to help lower heavy metal toxicity in the general public. It is suggested that doses of at least 2000mg per day are needed for vitamin C to act as a chelating agent. A high quality supplement of vitamin C is recommended along with juicing to achieve the necessary dosage.
Vitamin C is also a potent antioxidant, an essential ingredient in combating free radicals. One study has shown that vitamin C helps protect the lungs from inhaled oxidative pollutants.
2) Vitamin E has been shown to chelate mercury and flush it out of the system. Vitamin E is also a powerful antioxidant. When vitamin C and E are taken together they work in a partnership enhancing their antioxidant effects.
3) Vitamin A – although not necessarily a chelation agent, it is an integral part of the antioxidant family and important for the protection of our cells.4) Glutathione is considered by many health professionals as the king of antioxidants. It is a key player for cleansing your body of toxic heavy metals. It has been shown to be effective at enabling the body to deal with cadmium, iron, lead, and mercury. Also, low blood levels of glutathione is directly related to increased toxicity. Although glutathione is made by the body, it is safe to assume that many people are seriously deficient. The oxidative stress incurred by these take a heavy toll, and deplete the presence of glutathione in our cells. It is very important, not only for heavy metal detox, but for overall health to increase the amount of glutahione within our bodies. Increasing vitamin C intake has been shown to raise glutathione levels to some degree. Asparagus, broccoli and spinach contain amino acids that are known to help raise glutathione levels.
To greatly increase glutathione I recommend a product called Immunocal HMS 90 that you can buy at Amazon.com.
5) Cilantro is an herb of the parsley family and a great asset for heavy metal removal. Studies have shown that it is very effective at removing mercury and has become a standard in many detox programs.
Cleansing Juice Recipes
Cleanse your Body Juice #1 – Super Dose Cilantro
4 cups of cilantro
Wash cilantro and apples and juice everything whole – no peeling. Apples help to sweeten the bitterness of the cilantro and provides beneficial antioxidants.
If you are using organic then the carrots only need to be washed, if not peel them to reduce the amount of pesticides in the juice. Asparagus contains the highest known levels of glutathione in any food source. Asparagus, broccoli and carrots all provide vitamin C to also help increase glutathione levels, as well as providing other antioxidants like vitamin A.
Cleanse your Body Juice #3 – Super Dose Antioxidants
2 cups of blackberries
2 cup of blueberries
This combo is a great source of vitamins A,C and E.
Cleanse your Body Juice #4 – Metal Magic
2 cups of parsley
10 asparagus heads
1 cup of broccoli heads
1 cup of spinach
4 large carrots
This is a great overall juice for heavy metal detox- high in antioxidants and glutathione. The bitter greens also help the liver secrete bile to aid in flushing out these toxic heavy metals. If this juice is too unpalatable for you add some apple to sweeten.
Here are two great links about heavy metal detox –
1. Heavy Metal Detoxification
2. Heavey Metal Detoxification Blog
Wishing you the best in your detox,
Darren and Veronica Haynes