Detoxing is a necessary process to undertake if you want to attain optimum health. We are bombarded with pollutants in our food, water and environment. Couple this with intensive farming practices and TV dinners, which devitalize produce of their nutrition and vital energy, and we have the toxicity problems that we face today. To induce a natural cleanse we have to aid all of the bodies organs that are responsible for the elimination of toxins –
1) The liver – filters the blood
2) The kidneys – also filter the blood
3) The skin – releases toxins through sweat
4) The lungs – release harmful toxins through breathing
5) The colon – essential for eliminating toxins
Liver, Kidneys and Colon:
The liver, kidneys and colon work together directly to eliminate toxins through urine and fecal matter. The liver is the first vital stage in this process. Acting as a filter, the liver transforms harmful chemical toxins in the blood steam into safer water soluble substances that can be passed to the kidneys and colon. The substances that reach the kidneys are filtered into the urine to be excreted. Whereas the substances sent to the colon are transported through bile generated by the liver. So, supporting these three organs is an essential step for detoxification, and this is where juicing comes in.
Juicing for the Liver:
For most of us, our liver is so overloaded with toxins, it doesn’t get a second to rest. Each day we are exposed to more toxins than the liver can handle. So where does the excess toxins go? Unfortunately they are stored in our fat cells until that day in the future the liver gets an opening to deal with them. As you can guess, unless we are health conscious and implement that understanding, the liver will never get that space. From this we can conclude that toxicity is an epidemic. Fortunately, juicing can go a long way in supporting the liver and helping it detox –
1) Juicing can provide antioxidants that can help to remove toxins and unburden some of the load on the liver. If the produce you juice is organic, that will be very helpful. The liver will not have to deal with the pesticides from non-organic produce.
2) Juicing allows a super dose of antioxidants and nutrients to be absorbed into the blood stream very quickly, greatly enhancing their effects on detoxification.
3) Raw fruits and vegetables, and therefore juices, are a great source of natural enzymes. These enzymes are also used by the body to detoxify toxic material, lightening the livers load even further!
The best time to drink freshly made juices for a natural body cleanse, is between meals. This allows the enzymes to be used by the liver and blood for detoxification, rather than be used to help digest a meal. The best fruits and vegetables for liver detox are –
1) Cruciferous Vegetables such as, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage and cauliflower. They all contain glucosinates that help the liver to produce detoxification enzymes.
2) Lemon juice helps the liver produce bile to wash away toxins to the colon for elimination.
3) Beets are a tonic for the blood that can help remove heavy metals from the body.
4) Blackberries are a great source of 3 important antioxidants – vitamins A, C and E. As already mentioned, these antioxidants will help with detoxification and reduce the load on the liver. Vitamin C intake has been shown to increase the amount of glutathione in the body. Glutathione is considered “the king of antioxidants” by many health experts and is one of the most powerful in fighting free radicals. This is important because many free radicals can be released from toxins during the detoxification process and attack liver cells.
Natural Liver Cleanse Juice #1 – Lemon and Apple
Juice the whole apple, skin, core , the lot – this will put more fiber and pectin in the juice to help the colon move. Only juice the flesh of the lemon and not the peel.
Natural Liver Cleanse Juice #2 – Blackberry Lemon
3 cups of blackberries
This juice will provide immense antioxidant activity and protection for the liver and help stimulate more bile production.
Natural liver Cleanse Juice #3 – Cruciferous Cleanse
2 cups of broccoli heads
1 cup of cauliflower (the flower part only)
4 large carrots
This juice might not taste so great – but it is awesome for the liver!
Add half an apple if you need to make it a little sweet.
Juicing for Kidneys:
The most important thing you can do for aiding your kidneys and detoxification is drink lots of fluids. Flushing the kidneys is important so they keep shifting the toxins into our urine. There are also certain foods we can juice that help stimulate the kidneys. Grapes, parsley, asparagus, and watermelon are all helpful. Also, drinking a cup of the classic diuretic – dandelion tea – is very beneficial.
Juicing for the Colon:
The colon like the kidneys needs to keep moving regularly. To be [ad#Enhanced Fiber Food Powder, 453 grams]healthy we need to have at least one bowel movement per day. If our stools hang around in the colon for too long, we can start to reabsorb the toxins back into the body. This, of course, will undo some of the hard work of the liver. One of the most important things you can do for colon health is to eat plenty of fiber everyday from fruits, vegetables and whole grains. However, there are some foods we can juice that have beneficial colon effects –
1) Apples contain pectin, which can help slow down the spoiling of protein matter in the stools.
2) Cucumbers contain enzymes that help digest proteins.
3) Carrots contain oils that can help improve the quality of the mucous membranes of the colon. This helps keep the colon lubricated and improve transit time. Carrots also help bulk up the stools, which improves peristalsis and also allows the stools to absorb more toxins for elimination.
Overall Cleansing Juices:
I have put together five more juices that benefit the liver, kidneys and colon to induce natural body cleansing.
Natural Cleanse Juice #1 – The CCA Juice
Juice the whole apple, don’t peel the cucumber, and top the carrots. This juice is great for natural cleansing and is also a great constipation aid.
Juice the flesh only. Watermelon is great as an all round natural body cleanse, with extra emphasis on the kidneys. Drinking watermelon juice always gives me that “clean” feeling inside.
Natural Cleanse Juice #3 – Berry Blast
2 cups of blackberries
1 cup of blueberries
1 cup of raspberries
1/4 of a lemon
Wash berries thoroughly. Juice only the flesh of the lemon.
Natural Cleanses Juice #4 – Lemon Juice
water to taste
Natural Cleanse Juice #5 – Cleansing Greens
2 cups of broccoli heads
1 cup of spinach
1 cup of parsley
1 cup of kale
Wash thoroughly and juice everything whole. The bitter greens help the liver to secrete bile.
Darren and Veronica Haynes.